Thread: Walmart Ammo

Walmart Ammo

I used to check Walmart [almost] live inventory several times a day. Today I noticed when I search for ammo on walmart.com hardly anything comes up. Usually I type in something like "22LR" and it shows all the boxes, regardless if they're in stock. Then I click on "Find in a store" and it usually shows me about 10 stores within 50 miles. Today.....nothing. No results. Strange. I realize I'm lucky to have 10 Walmarts within 50 miles, it's strange, there are 2 more in the process of being built!

So I tried putting in the item number.....boom. They are still there, just not searchable anymore. Basically you have to have the item number or have the pages bookmarked like I did anyway.

Is anyone else that does this having this problem? I've been able to score about 10 boxes in the last 3 weeks checking these pages in the morning. Even when I get to the walmart that has something in stock there are usually 5 guys already there in front of me.

I'm not really trying to hoard. I bought a SR22 and a Savage Mark 2 about 6 weeks ago (I think the same day all this crap started) and haven't had much luck buying the ammo to take these guns to the range. 2000 rounds will go pretty quick.

Here are some of the links I use if anyone wants to bookmark them:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-45...-Pack/22027233
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...acket/16817298
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-Am...550ct/17128628
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...555pk/16783170
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...333pk/16783169

If it's just me having this problem maybe I need to flush my cache.

I've found it to be pretty useless using their site to check ammo inventory, or inventory of anything in high demand for that matter. It sounds like the stores in your area are a bit better at keeping their stock levels up to date. I have a couple walmarts in my area that show "limited stock" of Federal 45 bulk packs when their ammo dept guys say they haven't seen any in 4 weeks. I have had zero luck using the inventory checker to snag ammo. I have had luck, however, at befriending the ammo guys at a couple of the walmarts and getting some insight on when they put their ammo on the shelves and even a pattern that one of the guys noticed which resulted in me snagging some 45 FMJ.

Based on my recent trips, it seems theyre becoming better stocked. The ammo guys confirmed this and said the demand hasn't slowed but they're finally getting more in and are keeping it on the shelves longer.

Any links for 9mm or .40 as well as .223 and .308 would be GREATLY appreciated ...

Quote Originally Posted by boscoh View Post
    I've found it to be pretty useless using their site to check ammo inventory, or inventory of anything in high demand for that matter. It sounds like the stores in your area are a bit better at keeping their stock levels up to date. I have a couple walmarts in my area that show "limited stock" of Federal 45 bulk packs when their ammo dept guys say they haven't seen any in 4 weeks. I have had zero luck using the inventory checker to snag ammo. I have had luck, however, at befriending the ammo guys at a couple of the walmarts and getting some insight on when they put their ammo on the shelves and even a pattern that one of the guys noticed which resulted in me snagging some 45 FMJ.

Based on my recent trips, it seems theyre becoming better stocked. The ammo guys confirmed this and said the demand hasn't slowed but they're finally getting more in and are keeping it on the shelves longer.
    Ya there are a couple stores that screwed up in my area and never moved the ammo out of their inventory. I generally just ignore those stores because they always show in stock. I have made friends with the ammo guy at a Walmart store next door to the Walmart Distribution Center. Not only will he let me buy as many boxes as I want, which hasbn't been more than 4, but he will set aside 45ACP for me when it comes in. Making friends is the single best advice someone can give, at least until all this panic buying slows down. Honestly I'm a little worried that some other kid is gonna shoot someone (with a plinkster) and restart the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by New2NV View Post
    Any links for 9mm or .40 as well as .223 and .308 would be GREATLY appreciated ...
    I'll try and find those links, I wasn't looking for those calibers but I may be able to find the item numbers.

Administrator
    here is one way to do it http://bit.ly/X812ci

google - site:walmart.com "type of ammo" (example federal 22lr)

Tuesday the 12 before 7:30 I sent a question to wal mart customer svc. on line, before 8:30am they responded with this. see below.
    This is verbatim what they have posted on their corporate web site, as a response to the White house initiative on Gun violence. Now if
    walmart is siding with mayor Blumbuger we have a problem! also you might want to google that 10 point initiative of mayors gun violence.
    What business is it of blumbergs what the rest of the country doe's?

49erminer
    Shoot Straight And Often

Hello

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Walmart, like the rest of the country, has been engaged in a national dialogue about the responsible sale and regulation of firearms. We have had ongoing conversations with the Administration, Congress, Mayor Bloomberg’s office, sportsmen groups, suppliers and others to listen and share our thoughts and experiences.

Over the years we have been very purposeful about striking the right balance between serving hunters and sportsmen and ensuring that we sell firearms responsibly. In fact, we became a charter member of Mayor Bloomberg’s coalition against illegal guns and adopted the 10-point code established by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership that goes beyond what the law requires. We have also spoken to the Vice President’s office to share our perspective.

We sincerely apologize that you are not able to see which store will have the ammunition in stock. To ensure your feedback/suggestion reaches the correct department, please visit our feedback section at the bottom right of the home page on Walmart.com and complete the short feedback form.

We take this issue very seriously and are committed staying engaged in this discussion as the Administration and Congress work toward a consensus on the right path forward.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

Original Message Follows
    -------------------------
    02/12/2013 06:32 AM from you:
    why has ammunition been removed from the website?
    and how do i know when it is in stock in a particular store if i can't look it
    up?
    are you discontinuing carrying ammo?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-Ch...ounds/17617401
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...Grain/22027206 (Could only find Super-X)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...Grain/21694978
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...Grain/21694974

just a couple i could find. They've done something to their inventory to make it really difficult to check ammo inventory.

by all means post any links you can figure out, i am kinda slow. the palmyra, skohegan and waterville maine walmart has the (small) 20 round 7.62x39 tulammo for 5 and change
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/TULAMMO-7....ounds/17654689

Burned myself today. I checked my links around me and almost every store had stuff in stock. So I drive to my nearest. Empty. Drive to 3 more. All empty. I think the ammo is in stock but on a pallet in the back or something. I'll try again in the morning.

Also, I stopped by a Dicks Sporting goods, which I hardly do because of their policies (AR ban), and the guy said they have a crapload of ammo coming in in the morning. He said they've been getting a lot more in the last couple weeks? Good sign? Eye of the Storm? Who knows. Only problem is people start lining up in front of Dicks at 7am. They open at 9am. They have also started the 3 boxes per customer policy (thanks walmart).

Here's what got me movin!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45acp.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	91
    Last edited by l3asturd; 02-21-2013 at 06:56 PM.

I will try and check the local stores before picking up anything from Wallyworld. Substandard products from them is typical, so try local and you will get what your suppose to. They are the last resort in my book.
    Some supplies are starting to come back slowly, but prices are 20-50% more than they were a few months ago. I knew I should've grabbed a few more 308's when i had the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by pi3rce View Post
    I will try and check the local stores before picking up anything from Wallyworld. Substandard products from them is typical, so try local and you will get what your suppose to. They are the last resort in my book.
    Some supplies are starting to come back slowly, but prices are 20-50% more than they were a few months ago. I knew I should've grabbed a few more 308's when i had the chance...
    I sure agree with you about Wallyjunk. I have found .308's one of the most difficult ammo rounds to find. But seems like the simple .22LR may have recently become the hardest to find. I have adequate supplies but resisting going to the range because it is so difficult to replenish. Ridiculous!!!!

I always try to buy local and from small businesses and found these guys in Arizona http://www.diamondkbrass.com/. It's once fired brass but they do have great prices, customer service, and feels good giving back to local mom and pop vs the big box stores.

I got lucky a week ago and daisy-chained my way around the Walmarts in the Columbus, Ohio area collecting 9mm so I can actually shoot my new Glock 17. No luck at all since then... however, it does seem that when one store in the area gets a supply, then all the local stores get some.

As far as the Walmart stock checker goes, it is pretty useless here. Maybe because we just aren't getting much of a supply.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walmart.JPG 
Views:	393 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	93

You'll notice in the picture that the stock was updated 5 days ago.

Tried Gander Mountain this morning and got there at 8am for the store opening at 9am. The 92 people in front of me got all the good stuff... guess Dad was right about that early bird and the worm crap. )

I think the trick with Wal Mart is getting there when they are stocking. I was in tonight at 1100 and they had pallets out all over the store. I found one by sporting goods and scored 2000 rds of Winchester Super X .22lr Hp for $120. I think I will start going by every night after I get off at 1100.
    Last edited by Juggernautsb; 03-16-2013 at 12:13 AM.

I don't think this is useful at all anymore. Some Walmarts show they are always in-stock but they are not; usually in the Ghetto parts of town.

So my conclusion is if Walmart's inventory system is world class then I'm guessing people are stealing ammo so it never gets accounted for in the system.

Sucks

Members who have read this thread: 1