Thread: What Happened to this Site/Community

What Happened to this Site/Community

What is going on with all of these recent posts and comments?? This USED to be a Community where Enthusiasts used to get along and share deals with each other. Ever since December and January almost every deal that gets posted now has people fighting, yelling at each other, acting like a 10 year old calling people names. " F this and F that" etc. Seriously, what is going on with most of the newer members and their attitudes and their sense of entitlements? It really is sad when you see all of the negative comments going around.

There are certain types of people we all like to avoid, it's just hard to do on the net. Those people hide behind their key boards. If you can't make a good argument just trash the other person. It isn't just this site, but this site has now been discovered. It will just get worst till you have a moderator.

The Mods/ Admin dudes need to step up and have/ write/ enforce some standards on this www site. Posts need to have a "value"/add value to the visitor who reads it... 1) a below average price point... 2) correct description/ 3) shipping charges/ 4) correct caliber/ 5) photo, etc... and then the comments need to also have a civility and level of good manners and grammar. Plus the admin can/should delete those comments found to be offensive/ error prone/ attacking/ etc... but just letting grossly expensive adverts and trolling comments stand is belittling the site and wasting everyones time. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Virgle View Post
    There are certain types of people we all like to avoid, it's just hard to do on the net. Those people hide behind their key boards. If you can't make a good argument just trash the other person. It isn't just this site, but this site has now been discovered. It will just get worst till you have a moderator.
    Thats what used to make this site different, people never acted like children here. I know you usually get the Keyboard Warriors/Mall Ninjas/Call of Duty Kids everywhere, but this was always a respected site... Makes me a little sad that people are acting like that

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    What is going on with all of these recent posts and comments?? This USED to be a Community where Enthusiasts used to get along and share deals with each other. Ever since December and January almost every deal that gets posted now has people fighting, yelling at each other, acting like a 10 year old calling people names. " F this and F that" etc. Seriously, what is going on with most of the newer members and their attitudes and their sense of entitlements? It really is sad when you see all of the negative comments going around.
    Some of the negativity could be attributed to the amount of gouging going on. Supply and demand is one thing but some of the vendor's prices are a bit excessive. People are being vocal about it. A couple hundred dollars extra to pay for a gun during a panic in which the gun industry has swollen to 4 times it's normal size is reasonable. Seeing a vendor charge over $1000 more for a gun and even hundreds over what the competitors are charging is just however not reasonable. Add to it the amount of people not sure if their magazines are on the way or not because so much of it is backordered and not updated by the vendor. (I ordered Pmags back in Dec and still have no word on them after 2 emails for example, will wait til April to call as I don't want to sound like a harasser). Also remember not everyone lives in a nice pro 2nd Amendment state. People are trying to stock up before crap legislation gets put through. Ever see one of those Black Friday videos of people at a Walmart when the doors open? Well that same panic/fever is going on now. I agree that the uber negative comments need to go though. I care more about comments on how a product works or good alternatives to said product. Pricing is easily compared via this site though.

It will get better as prices come down and more guns/ammo/magazines end up in stock.

I'm pretty new around here, but am not new to the interwebz and general "deal" sites, and what's happening on slickguns is far from new. There seems there are more and more people who, as Virgle said, hide behind their keyboards. If some of these commenters said what they say on here in real life, you can bet they'd get a beat down. It's inexcusable.

As far as some of the deal posts being not a great deal, yes there are some that are just mediocre, but in some cases, a good deal comes down to what position you're in and I appreciate 98% of the posts as a 'heads up'. Make use of the rating system to voice your opinion on it being a great deal or not, and if it's not a deal to YOU, remember some one might be in need. I'm from Colorado and with all the legislation coming down hard on us, what might not be a great deal to someone else, is maybe acceptable to me. Magazines are an example - there were some PSA aluminum ones that came up today, someone might not think $119.00 for (10) is not a good deal, but for those of us who won't even be able to BUY these in 3 months, it's nice to have a heads up.

I personally have no problem with a little humorous banter in the comments, as long as it's at least tangentially related to the OP. I'd hate to get to the point where a site like this was OVERLY moderated, like some other sites where mods or users complain about every aspect of a post to the point where no one WANTS to participate. I do, however, wish there was moderation of the profane, personal attacks that seem to be happening more and more in the comments section. If folks can't be civil, then they don't belong here, IMHO. The comments coming from user tkhobbs yesterday in a post about a BCG, for example, have no place on this site or any other for that matter.

Last thought: As I mentioned, I'm from Colorado and our rights are being eroded by recent legislation. Despite a very strong effort by groups here, magazines that hold over 15 rounds will no longer be legal to sell, buy, or give away as of July 1. We are now, as of this past week, being assessed a $10 fee for background checks. More bills are working their way through the House. And Obama is coming HERE to "highlight the state's gun control push as he tries to convince Congress to tackle the issue". In other words, he would like to see these same types of law go national. No one helps the cause by being a belligerent jerk online - it bolsters the opinion that gun owners are dangerous and keeps the stereotype alive that gun owners are unsavory. Even if we don't have active mods, there's no reason to uncivilized on here. It only hurts the group.

Cheers and be safe.

Regardless of whether people are angry about the recent prices the childishness has reached a level that is beyond tolerable. The mods need to step it up and start banning people by IP that have gotten out of hand. There should be a 1 week suspension for first offense and second is permanent ban. I have seen a number of posters on deal threads that seem to have signed up to do nothing but belittle others and complain. There has also been a number of offensive names I've seen recent as well such as whitepride and the aim4jigsnpigs guy. This is a high traffic public website and there's no need to contribute to a stereotype that gun owners are back country bigots. If you want proof of just how out of hand some of these things have gotten just go look at the Noveske Pmag thread in accessories. Was that a "deal" in the literal sense? No, but this is supposed to be a site for gun enthusiasts and people may be interested in contributing to a well known pioneer who had recently passed away. There was no need for the vitriol that was spewed in the thread whether people wanted to buy it or not.

I just read that post along with all of his other comments.. Sad, he has been here less than a week and has nothing positive to say or add to anything. Those are the people I'm talking about. We are all in this same fight together and the last thing we need is people giving the gun grabbers the perception that we are all ignorant redneck savages. There are a few other repeat offenders who have all been here less than 2 months.. Have to wonder how many are Trolls and how many really are that ignorant. It's sad to see this community coming to this

Site goof up

Clicked on handguns, then caliber. Was sent to a listing of that caliber ammo for sale with amount availability, price, etc.
    Where is the info for handguns by caliber.

Administrator
    thanks, that's fixed now

I agree

I agree. I am a new guy being here about 2 and half months as I recall. But I just cannot understand why people cannot just ignore a bad deal. There are many who want to see any and every deal that may be available. I tend to encourage people to post deals. As others have said, a bad deal to some may be an ok deal to others. And the amount of slinging the F-Bomb around left and right. I know dang well most of these guys would not talk to someone's face like that. I guess it is just the ability to call people morons and idiots from behind a keyboard without getting the likely repercussions.

And if I hear one more of these guys say, "Just quit buying at these prices and everything will return to normal", I am going to explode. This is the new normal. Get used to it. I used to buy gasoline for 25 cents a gallon. It's not going to happen anymore. We all need to find the best deal for the situation we are in. And there are the guys who insist that ammo is readily available at their local walmarts or gun stores at 2010 pricing. OK if that's true then why are they here at Slick Guns. Just to boast of their deals. I don't understand it. But if I had ammo readily available at my walmart, I wouldn't be posting here.

And I think you are right about their sense of entitlement. I have to believe that most of these guys acting like this are very young. Don't know why but I just get that feeling when reading their posts.

Anyway, good post. I have been thinking the same thing for the past 5 or 6 weeks as I saw more and more of this. I really do wish the moderators would clamp down with an iron fist on this, especially on the cursing and personal attacks. Thanks for letting me vent.

What is going on with all of these recent posts and comments??...
    People like YOU happened! You're such a dumb idiot, I hate you.

I kid. Seriously though, the gun-panic has encouraged a lot of the 4Chan kids and people that wouldn't typically be here to come our direction.. which has been great for our SG as far as traffic.. but we've seen how it's turned out on the community side.

For that matter, it's even encouraged a lot of DEALERS to stoop lower than the members, which is just sad.. There's been an unbelievable amount of angry/stupid comments and "deals" posted for crap that's 200% over retail from retailers/dealers.
    It's surprising how harshly some of these guys react to people criticizing their legitimately crappy prices.. and they seemed shocked when it happens.. Yeah, if you charge $50 for a PMAG and post it on a DEALS website, somebody is probably going to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorChops View Post
    Yeah, if you charge $50 for a PMAG and post it on a DEALS website, somebody is probably going to say something.
    ^This. Like I said earlier a certain amount of "gouging" via supply and demand was to be expected. Things like $50 for a pmag is what's going to piss a lot of people off. Also I'm of the feeling that most of the sites should have limited the amount of magazines ordered to make sure people who are ordering aren't just ordering to dry up supply but rather they actually need the mags. People ordering 50 Pmags at a time is a fucking joke.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.