Thread: Help a n00b, get another grateful Patriot - striker fired hammerless gun question

Help a n00b, get another grateful Patriot - striker fired hammerless gun question

Hi guys,

This is my first post and my first attempt to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I've always been anti-gun until I obtained a college education, understood the cronyism involved with existing laws (which are seldom repealed), the appalling lack of foresight and consideration of long term implications from our government and the global conditions that can make civility disappear in a flash. I live in DC and quite frankly, there are a million things that should freak everyone out of complacency.

That being said, I have no intention of concealed carry to defend myself in an everyday situation. In fact, some of you bastards at the range are so proficient in your shooting, I would never entertain in almost any case drawing my weapon against another armed attacker (I'd surely lose).

So my arm would be one for a sh1t-hits-the-fan situation, defend my family and posessions yet still be reasonably comfortable to carry if on foot. I am a n00b at handguns (but shot my fair share of AR's in the great state of Texas) and my research has led me to look at the CZ-75 SP-01. I have tended to perform poorly with rented glocks at the range, but appeared to be a bit of a stone cold killer with my friend's revolvers, desert eagles, etc. I assumed this was because I probably have issues with my trigger pull and the recoil, shifting my barrel away from my target. The CZ reviews seemed to indicate that it is dream to shoot, makes accuracy easier and is manufactured by a great quality company.

After researching what the hell a dec0cker is, and SA/DA (which I still only loosely understand) I started to question if I even wanted a gun with hammer. I like the concept of a safety too, because I am a n00b and don't want to kill myself or others if I drop my gun, or don't pull the trigger and hammer correctly to dec0ck. Now before you flame, I am not asking about a dec0cker vs normal setup.

My question is as follows: What is a full-sized striker fired gun without a hammer with a 10+ round capacity that is offered in either 9mm or .40 that is easy on n00bs who shoot like me (see two paragraphs up), that may have safety features that are decently easy to disengage when drawing, that has a great reputation for reliability and longevity and is relatively easy to break down and clean for a beginner? In other words, given my rationale for the CZ-75 SP-01, what is a good non hammer version? Cost is not important, but I would like to maybe put on sights that make my n00b a$$ just a little bit better at accuracy.

Many thanks to my future community.

EDIT NOTE: I forgot to mention that I moved to VA as soon as I could after Newtown. So no limits on the type of gun.
    Last edited by EinDC; 03-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Glock or S&W M&P, go to your local store and check out which one fits better in your hands

Quote Originally Posted by EinDC View Post
    After researching what the hell a dec0cker is, and SA/DA (which I still only loosely understand)
    So, I'm a little late to the party.. but on the chance you haven't figure it out yet: there's a few different configuration.. SA - Single Action, DA - Double Action, DAO - Double Action Only.
    Single Action is like an old-school revolver or 1911, you have to manually cock the hammer before the first round. The benefit of these is a usually short, light, trigger pull. The downside is you HAVE to cock the hammer manually.

Double Action - means the hammer can be actuated by pulling trigger.. so long as there's a round in the chamber you can just pull the trigger and start shooting. The benefit to this is you can carry with one in the chamber and the hammer down, and go straight to firing without having to cock it. The downside is it's typically a long, heavy trigger pull.

SA/DA - (sometime just called 'double action') is a combination of Single Action and Double action.. With these typically the first trigger pull is the longer, double action pull.. in semi auto guns the follow up shots will all be single action (because the first shot ran the slide and cocked the hammer). A lot of people don't like having a trigger transition.. it's not ideal, but I personally don't mind it all that much.
    A dec0cker is just what it sounds like.. it's a lever usually on double action, semi-auto handguns that safely drops the hammer, so you can carry it with a round in the chamber and safety disengaged.

The CZ is a damn good option.. I own an EAA Witness .45acp which is a faithful clone of the CZ and love that gun.. you can just feel it's well made, tight tolerances, runs like a champ. All metal though, so it's got some heft.

So an M&P is what comes to mind right off the bat for your criteria.. mostly because I've been working on a trade for one lol.. Can't speak to the gun's quality or anything of that nature, but given the huge selection, variations, popularity and conversion kits.. I'd say it's a safe bet to assume they're an alright gun.
    The up side to more popular guns like this is you can get conversion kits - so if you own a .40S&W you can pop a 9mm barrel in it and save a ton of money training or plinking.. this is getting longwinded and I'm supposed to be somewhere, but I'll add on when I think about it lol

SR9 and XDM.. a couple of other popular hammerless guns

Quote Originally Posted by EinDC View Post
    What is a full-sized striker fired gun without a hammer with a 10+ round capacity that is offered in either 9mm or .40 that is easy on n00bs who shoot like me (see two paragraphs up), that may have safety features that are decently easy to disengage when drawing, that has a great reputation for reliability and longevity and is relatively easy to break down and clean for a beginner? In other words, given my rationale for the CZ-75 SP-01, what is a good non hammer version? Cost is not important, but I would like to maybe put on sights that make my n00b a$$ just a little bit better at accuracy.
    I actually happen to have an M&P pro .40S&W in my possession right now.. let me know if you have any questions about 'em or want to see anything specific on 'em.. I'd be happy to take a picture/video if you think it'd help. Also have an EAA in .45acp, if you're interested in any kind of comparison.
    (Guessing like a lot of people that come across the forums, you'll probably never been seen again.. BUT - if you are - let me know if I can help out)

Walther makes some good ones as well.

FN striker fired too

Don't overlook the FNS ; avail in 9 or 40
    It is a double stack capacity stainless over poly construction that shoots as accurate or more so than any of the popular Sig Glock and SA service pistol models
    Sights are a little confounding until you learn the picture which is "cover the target" instead of the more typical US three dot POA alignment

Members who have read this thread: 1